Saturday, July 2, 2011

Study Abroad Packing List

I remember during the months leading up to my study abroad adventure in Cork, Ireland, wondering what I should pack for my trip. I knew that with the luggage limits that most airlines place on size and weight that I would not be able to bring the normal amount of stuff that I usually bring to school for a semester.  remember searching the internet for a study abroad packing list that would include all the necessary items that I would need for my 5 months out of the country. Here is the study abroad packing list that I wish I had before leaving on my trip. It includes things that I was very thankful I brought and other items that I wish I had thought of before I left and its in no particular order.

Study Abroad Packing list

View an Extended, Printable Packing List with less description  in my Google Docs Extended Packing List Click Here







1.
      The Rough Guide to Europe On A Budget  
This book was my life saver when planning my study abroad itinerary. It helped me decide what places to go to, great places to stay, and places to eat as well. I highly recommend the rough guide because it is written for people who are trying to keep on a budget during their travels. It truly belongs in every study abroad packing list. The book has lists if restaurants, hotels, hostels etc. with corresponding price ratings, which make it much easier to plan everything. The book also has every country you could ever want to go to in it and scores of different attractions with descriptions of them all. DO NOT LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT. If you click on the link above you can purchase it through Amazon.com which is usually pretty good with prices and add it to your study abroad packing list today.


2.
Kindle 3G, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 3G Works Globally, Graphite, 6" Display with New E Ink Pearl Technology

The Kindle E-reader is another device I am happy I included on my study abroad packing list. This little device is amazing because it holds thousands of books and it is small and compact. The Kindle is perfect for travelling around Europe when you cannot afford to give up to much space in your backpack. It was hard enough fitting The Rough Guide to Europe On A Budget in my backpack, at least I did not have to pack any other books that I wanted to read and believe me, you spend a lot of time in transit when traveling in Europe. There are a lot of planes, trains, buses and everything in between the Kindle is a blessing to have on your trip.

3.
Apple iPod touch 32 GB (4th Generation) NEWEST MODEL

If you are going to spring for a ne piece of technology before your big trip I would say that the Apple Ipod touch is the way to go. The newest model has a camera on the front and back with high definition video recording. During my travels I was sometimes nervous to take out my laptop because you never know who is watching you and thinking about robbing you when your in a foreign country so the Ipod touch is like its own mini computer. You also might not have enough room in your backpack to bring a laptop which makes the Ipod touch that much more valuable. The newest version with a camera on the front is compatible with Skype, which means that if you are in a WiFi hotspot you can call home to America FOR FREE as long as your parents or friends are on Skype back in the USA. This thing was amazing during the trip. Other people were worried about calling home with their Irish phones while roaming in Europe and all I had to do was find myself a hotspot, usually in the hostel I was in or  anywhere else they are all over the place and I was talking to my parents for free. Even better, you can put like 10 dollars on your Skype account and it will allow you to call phone numbers as well, so if your parents are not on Skype, you can still reach them from your Ipod touch. Now I have mentioned that this is compatible with Skype but als, because the Ipod touch has a camera on the front, you can video chat with your family on it as well. I am still amazed every time I use it and I highly recommend it for any study abroad packing list. Obviously the Ipod touch also has all the other features of an Ipod such as movies and music. The battery life I must say is amazing as well, it worked for like 7 hours on one charge and that was with watching movies. This thing is great for traveling if your laptop or phone battery dies quick as well. Your study abroad packing list cannot be complete without the Ipod touch

4.
The North Face Mens Resolve Jacket

Now I am going to tell you the jacket listed above is not the one that I used, I had a Columbia winter jacket with a zip out liner and waterproof shell. North Face was also a popular brand for international students studying in Ireland. The reason a jacket with a zip out shell is so important is because you are going to be there for a long period of time and packing space is limited. This means that you should take the jacket that can solve all your jacket needs. In the colder months I wore the jacket with the liner in and it kept me nice and warm, I also was able to wear it when I snowboarded in the Swiss Alps. When the warmer months came around or when I travelled from Switzerland to Milan, I was able to remove the liner and I had a comfortable light raincoat. I must stress the importance of the outer layer being waterproof because it rains a lot in Ireland and you want a jacket that functions as a raincoat otherwise you will be very weight, or have to where a ridiculous looking poncho around. I had to wear a poncho at the Blarney Stone and I looked like a fool because I did not bring my jacket and it started pouring. Even if the weather looks nice always be ready with this jacket.


If you found this article helpful please share it with others.
Also if you plan on purchasing one of these items to take with you please purchase it through the link on my site.

No comments:

Post a Comment