Wednesday, January 12, 2011

First Night In Cork

So after eating dinner there were no more IFSA Butler activities for the night, which led our group to the decision that it was time to explore the town that we had been dreaming about exploring since we went in our applications months ago. The group exited the River Lee and walked down Western Road towards Cork's city center. Part of the group broke off and entered a Pub called Preachers and the other half including myself continued on because we wanted to explore a bit more. We went a little deeper into the city but did not venture to far because it was still unfamiliar territory for us. Ultimately we
ended up back at Preachers because it seemed to be the liveliest one that we had passed. My first drink in Ireland was a beer that is brewed in County Cork called Murphy's Irish Stout. It looks a lot like a Guinness but is lighter and a bit smoother I believe. To be totally honest I was not really in the drinking mood at the time because lets not forget I was running on almost no sleep from New Years still at this point so I don't think this beer had a fair judging. I was not thrilled with the taste and it left me feeling very full. I do plan on trying it again though soon now that I have attained normal sleeping patters once again. While in Preachers I also noticed that professional darts was playing on T.V. This was very interesting because while I had seen darts on T.V. in the states before it did not have the same following that it seems to have here. There were thousands of people at the event who were shown on T.V. and it was quite a spectacle. The Irish who were in the pub were also kind of getting into it as the different people on T.V. played. Overall the night was low key and we headed back to the River Lee Hotel pretty early because we had an 8 am wake up call for the next day of orientation with IFSA Butler. Here is a picture of the outside of the River Lee Hotel looking from Western Road.



Here are a few pictures of Western Road and some buildings of Cork from the River Lee Hotel.








No comments:

Post a Comment