Tuesday, January 25, 2011

First Day and Night in Galway

While I went to bed early upon arriving in Galway the next morning it appeared I was more tired than I had thought because I slept until about noon. We did not do much in the morning and basically relaxed in her apartment waiting for my friends from Cork to arrive on their bus. They had left Cork around 4 pm and we expected them to arrive about 7:45 pm. Around 4pm we were getting tired of the apartment and decided to head down to Galway, walk through the streets and get some food. The walk to the city center is pretty far from Arielle's apartment and is
much more complicated than my own walk from my apartment in Cork to the Cork city center. She even got lost when she picked me up from the bus station and we walked in circles for a little while. trying to find the right way to her apartment lol :-). When we arrived at the city center of Galway we wandered the streets and read some menus of restaurants and pubs to see which ones we thought would be good for when my friends arrived so that we could go to dinner with them. I was starving so we also stopped at McDonalds and I purchased a double cheeseburger and tea because they did not serve hot chocolate there and it was kind of cold outside. After wandering around and stopping at McDonalds for some fine Irish cuisine we headed over to the bus terminal to meet up with my friends from Cork. After meeting up with them we all walked to the hostel that they were staying at in Galway called the Kinlay House. I must say I was jealous of this hostel because it was much nicer than I had expected. The Kinlay House had multiple plaques on its walls that showed its rankings out of all the hostels in Galway and it was consistently in the top 5 year after year. They had a nice main area with free wifi, other computers that you could pay tp use and a kitchen with all the cookware you might need that you could use free of charge. It was really nice and I am excited for the first time I get to sleep in a hostel, I just hope it is as nice as that one. Once my friends dropped off their bags at the hostel we started to explore Galway. We stopped in some pubs and listened to a few bands play. The pub that we stayed in the longest was the Roisin Dubh and we listened to a band there called Mustang Hobo. It was not a really late night because we all had to wake up early the next morning to catch the early ferry to the Aran Islands.

No comments:

Post a Comment